In the mid 1880s, St. Paul's Central Park was constructed south of the State Capitol. Paths and an ornate fountain resided in the park and homes and apartment buildings ringed its borders. By 1929 the newspaper was calling for the removal of the "screen of ugliness" (the buildings) that were blocking the approach to the Capitol. Gradually the homes were removed, the last in 1970, and now as an ultimate screen of ugliness, the only structure on the site is a government parking ramp. Ahhhhh, progress.
image: postcard from 1922, Minnesota Historical Society.