Monday, February 11, 2008

You're never too old for a diorama


In my years as a Gopher, I never ventured inside of the Bell Museum of Natural History (on the East Bank of the U of M campus.) Well, during yesterday's Arctic freeze, we decided to check it out and it was awesome. The museum is over 125 years old. It's got two floors of taxidermy encased in these great retro landscape dioramas. Although the child was making it difficult to read the accompanying material, we found ourselves laughing out loud at some of the great descriptions (e.g. "The Feisty Rodent.") There's also a really extensive "Touch and See" room where you can touch all kinds of horns, antlers, bones, furs, and living reptiles. I don't think I've ever seen so much stuff that kids are actually encouraged to manhandle. And for all of you fellow freeloaders, Sunday's are free at the museum.

1 comment:

Kurt said...

Great insight on the home town suburb! This relates to all the entries that I have happened to read or skim through since I found this today. A blast from the past says hello.