- Mature trees
- Homes that greet the street, rather than garages
- Proximity to the following:
- a park
- a library
- a "third place" (e.g. coffee shop, book store, other hang out)
- a place to buy milk in a pinch
6. Calm enough streets so that an older child can safely cross them
7. Houses in many different architectural styles
8. Feeling of safety and pride in the neighborhood
9. Ability to use transit if I want/need to.
While I think these features will always be hallmarks of a great neighborhood in my book, I can also see how at different stages of life, new characteristics will rise on the list.