As usual, I have none of my own photos to show you my favorite parkways in the Twin Cities. But the University of Minnesota Design Center did a regional parkway compendium in 2003 called "Community Parkways: An Urban Design Survey of Green Streets in the Twin Cities"
that includes illustrations.
My top 5 favorite parkways:
- Minnehaha Parkway (Minneapolis)
- East and West River Roads (Minneapolis and St. Paul)
- Midway Parkway (St. Paul)
- Stinson Boulevard (north of 35W in Minneapolis)
- The Chain of Lakes portion of the Grand Rounds byway (Minneapolis).
Minneapolis has this handy parkway map of all the roads and portions of roads that are classified as parkways.
There's also a YouTube video of someone driving on the Minneapolis Parkways. It makes me nauseous to watch, but you can get a feel of what these roads are like.
Images: Top, Summit Avenue, by Tim. Bottom, Minnehaha Parkway, by R. Bunney.