Friday, November 16, 2007

It's Christmastime in the City


When it comes to holiday dazzle, cities definitely do it right. I mean I love a good suburban street all decked out "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" style, but well-lit tract homes can't compare with lavishly decorated department store windows, city lampposts festooned with ornament, or downtown parks transformed by the presence of a massive Christmas tree. Urbanity becomes a fairy tale between Thanksgiving and New Years--and while the cynic in me can see visions of "trite" and "corporate" dancing in my head--99.5% of me sees joy and wonder. And frankly, bringing people to downtowns--to shop, to ponder, to recognize the grandeur of the skylines-- is generally a good thing.

I've always been a fan of public displays of holiday decorating, but now that I'm a parent, I think I love it even more. I can't wait to take our daughter to a Holidazzle parade, to visit the Christmas Tree at Rice Park, and check out the lights on St. Paul's westside. Joy to the world, indeed!

Image: Paul Gill

1 comment:

cvf said...

girl.you.rock! nice work, mk. c.